Saturday, September 13, 2008

Living the Good Life

My mom volunteered to come out and help after I'd had surgery. This was before our east coast trip. After spending time with the kids there was no more mention of help.
Suddenly her schedule was very busy. There was just no way she could come out right now, she informed me angrily, as though I'd suggested it in the first place. ( I hadn't).
OK , so Jeff will take some time off and then I'll mysteriously find a way to hobble through. I mean, what choice do we have?
So I had the surgery. She called two days ago and left a message. I called back today.

You've had the surgery, She informed me.

Yes.

And its all fine.

Well, I'm on crutches, my foot is broken and there is a pin in my foot, but yes, it went well.

Did they give you drugs?

Yes, Vicodin.

But you don't need that. Its fine if you just keep it up.

Actually I've had a few.

Oh so you're fine.

In the background her new husband asks if I need them to come out.

My mom collapses into nervous laughter. Why thats the funniest thing she has ever heard. Help her? Because she had surgery and has four kids? Oh ha ha ha. We're so busy ourselves, we have to get new passport photos and we're traveling for the weekend and we are landscaping and now there are 3 waterfalls on the property. What with all the workers arriving, why we are so busy...
I hear her new husband say I could come there and they could take care of me.
I would never do that.
Even if I wanted to do that I couldn't because I can't fly for several months after this surgery.
My mom guffawed again. Imagine them taking care of me just because I'd had surgery . Ha ha ha, a hilarious notion.

She couldn't possibly help. She has waterfalls to attend to and European trips to plan.

She asked where the kids were. I said Jeff had taken them swimming.
Oh so you are having a break! Oh how nice of him!

a break? A BREAK? Yes, this is a fantastic break.

I don't have a bedroom. We gave it up so the kids could have a playroom. Our bed is next to the dryer , just off of the kitchen. It does make the house better during the day. The kids have room to take out a game and play if they want. I don't regret it. I like the town we live in. I like the people. I like the schools. I like the friends my kids have made. I like the friends we've made. I wouldn't want to give it all up just to move to a bigger house in a less desirable area. We're OK.

But when surgery which requires me to use crutches is dismissed as some sort of vacation, and my mom can't help because she has waterfalls to attend to , and I get emailed " Greetings from Istanbul!" then I feel annoyed.

Greetings from next to the dryer. Its hot here too.

No comments: