Thursday, September 25, 2008

How Did You Sleep?

What is it that is so fun about complaining? There can be something cathartic in it. Yet it can also spiral out of control. Especially if you don't hear yourself. We're all guilty of it. Some more than others.
You know whats coming, don't you Jeff?

Take my loving husband for example. I have learned not to answer his innocuous seeming questions.
Were you warm enough last night?

Seems innocent enough, right? Nope. Not innocent. If I say yes...

Of course you were, you had all the covers.

If I say I was cold...

You were cold, I was freezing.

Another seemingly innocent question:
Did you sleep well?
OK, that one is not as seemingly innocent. There is a question that is generally loaded. Whenever anyone asks if you slept well you know its an intro into how well they did not sleep.
So if I say yes, I did in fact sleep well...

I don't know how you didn't hear the kids, they were up every hour, I got no sleep.

If I say no, I was up with the kids...

Yeah, I heard you get up that one time and then I had to get up every 20 minutes and you didn't hear a thing. I'm glad one of us got some sleep.

I've finally learned the importance of beating him to it.

Did you sleep well?

Well, no one slept as poorly as me. You slept right through it when the ice pick wielding lunatic barged in and nicked out my right eye. But I didn't complain because I didn't want to wake you.

And you, how did you sleep?

2 comments:

jeff said...

how did you sleep?

GuyFleegman said...

LOL!!!! This is fantastic, Catharyn. You've captured marriage to a "t."