Monday, December 1, 2008

I'm blown away





Oliver amazes me.

When Oliver was a baby Holden called him Suggy. I had explained to Holden that baby Oliver cried when he wasn't comfortable. He liked to be kept warm and snuggly. Holden interpreted that as " the baby's name is Suggy". Not quite what I meant, but the name stuck for a while. For the first two years of Oliver's life he was Suggy to family and friends. Slowly the name faded from existence and Oliver became Oliver.

Last week Oliver carefully wrote some letters on a piece of paper. He spelled out " sughee". I didn't want to lead him, so I asked what it said.
" My name is Suggy" Oliver replied.

I guess he remembers that. I guess he can sound out words. Um.. how does he know how to do that?

He spent the rest of the week writing " Sughee, Oliver, Griffin, Holden..."

When we got back from Safari West, the adventure at which Oliver lured giraffes to his side and hand fed them, he sat down on the floor with magnetic letters. He carefully wrote " restaurant".

WHAT??

Yup, he spelled out restaurant. Repeatedly.

We got ready to go to a party on Sunday. We got out paper and pencils and pens so the kids could make cards. Oliver carefully wrote out the days of the week.
Um... he can do that?

We headed to the party. The kids had a blast! ( Thank you Sally and Josh!). Oliver sat down next to the bounce house and wrote restaurant. Then he wrote Michelin.

Michelin??

What goes on in that head of his?

I'm so proud and so confused. He still can't put his shirt over his head without getting stuck in an arm hole. But he can spell restuarant. ( Typo, but I'm leaving it in to make a point).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

see, I am stalking you via blog. Josh and I are still talking about how amazing Oliver was.