Monday, December 8, 2008

Damn Elf

I love The Elf on the Shelf. I always liked the 70's kitsch elf, and the book is adorable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XR6MBQ?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen

I love how excited they all are to find the elf. Griffin calls it " Miss Miss". Anything remotely Christmas like is a " Miss Miss" according to Griffin.

The elf has come up with some great spots to hide. In the cereal box, in the refrigerator, on top of a ceiling fan, peering out of the shower. Endless amusement.

The elf is my primary source of bribing for good behavior throughout the month of December.
" Oh no! Did the elf see that? He'll tell Santa! Quick! Do something nice, good and helpful!"
I love the elf.

Here is what I don't love: moving the elf.

Sounds like it would be fun to find a different spot each evening after everyone drifts off. Well, it would be...if I remembered!

What happens is I go to sleep and just as I am drifting off I think " Oh NO! The Elf!
Sometimes I don't remember the elf at all. Then Jeff or I has to subtly extricate the elf from yesterday's spot and get him into a new spot quickly.

But the other day Holden saw the elf, in yesterday's spot, before we'd noticed or thought about the elf.

But why? Why didn't the elf move?

Um, because you were so good that he had nothing to report.

No comments: