Friday, November 21, 2008

The Talking Marshmallow

We're back in the land of potty training. I'm half relieved that I've finally found the courage to face it for the 3rd and 4th times. I'm half just wishing I could fast forward this phase. All the accidents, ugh.
I'm already looking forward to the end of potty seats. One bathroom with two potty seats to trip over can be annoying.
But, at least we have entered the realm. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Potty seats are out. We talk about underwear all the time. We cheer and exclaim over bodily functions. We read books about potties, books with our favorite licenced characters on potties, we throw potty theme parties. OK, there haven't been any theme parties yet. Hmm.. actually I did make cupcakes the first time Griffin peed in the potty.
We've resurrected the potty videos. I'm a big boy now. I haven't bothered to buy a girl version. Poor Laurel. She'll be a little confused. For some reason all the kids still like watching " Potty Power".
Maybe the songs are particularly compelling? Maybe the stories and re enactments are well crafted?

I am continually humming :
I can do it myself
I'm a big kid now
I can do it myself
I've got potty power
POTTY POWER!

This particular video features an animated, talking roll of toilet paper. Holden had been convinced that it was a talking marshmallow. Every time the marshmallow/ toilet paper roll would speak Holden would laugh and say " Silly Marshmallow".

I asked him once why a marshmallow would be in a potty video, didn't he think it might be more plausible that the character was a toilet paper roll?

Nope, it was a marshmallow.

So the brightest light in the process of potty training so far is the resurrection of the talking marshmallow. He still makes me laugh.

No comments: