Saturday, September 17, 2011

Now That The Kids Are In School

What do I do with myself all day now that the kids are in school? Of course the obvious answer is I sit around, gorging myself on delicious and decadent treats. I have time to go to all of the health clubs and fitness centers I belong to because now that the kids are in school money is no object so I have joined them all. When I am finished with all of my clubs and centers, and my time with the personal fitness trainers and gurus has drawn to a close, I head out to a spa for a facial, a massage and then I join friends for a leisurely tea. After which I sweep in to the school parking lot to pick up my perfectly coiffed and cheerful children who regale me with tales related to the joy of learning.

Except none of this happens. I don't have that life. Yes, I have 4 kids in school but this has afforded me unbelievably less time for myself than I have had previously. This year I have 4 kids on two school campuses. This may sound, from an outsider's perspective, like a terrible scheduling snafu has occurred, when in fact this is the best I have ever had it.

This is the best schedule I have had in 10 years. In years past I have attempted to balance 3 different schools for 4 children. No matter how hard I tried I was always the parent who was present the least. I went on the fewest class trips, I volunteered for the fewest hours in each classroom.

Other parents would helpfully explain that the unwritten code of the school requires that parents put in their time if they want the best teachers and classroom experiences, the implication being that if I showed up every now and again my child would have it better, you know, like their kid. Somehow no one really got the 3 schools with various pick up times part of the equation. Yet somehow these same people are the ones that marvel at how I balance two campuses this year.

But back to the time issue. Now that I have kids in one district, in two campuses, I actually can participate in classrooms and volunteer on field trips. So I do and I am happy to do this because I finally can. I like being able to see what goes on, I like getting to know the kids and finding out about my children's classmates. Plus the field trips are fun and informative.

However there is very little time for anything once I get involved. This week I went on 2 field trips, baked California shaped cookies and volunteered for an in class project. I also did some further research for an upcoming IEP. I went to a meeting with the director of student services for our school district. I met with the principal and spoke with art and music and PE teachers to make sure I knew how everything was going at school this year. That was during the school hours. After school there was swimming, cross country, water polo and homework. Every day. Then I made dinner. Then I did laundry. Then I cleaned parts of the house, but not all of it. I did not even buy groceries. I saved that for today. I did not have time to buy groceries. We are out of milk. We are out of cat food. We have only had the fish tank for 3 weeks and already one of the fish had babies so we need to get fish baby accoutrements.

I went to bed exhausted every night. I still have further research to do before the IEP. I have volunteered to make cookies for a fundraiser for special ed. The weekend is booked with swimming and play dates and soccer. On Monday it will all start again.

On Monday someone is sure to ask me what I do with all of my spare time now that the kids are in school and I have the house to myself. It must be so quiet, they will remark. Their idea of my life sounds so idyllic, how do I get in there?

No comments: