Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Job For Daddy

I take my boy seriously. He knows when things have gone awry.
A few months back he came into our bedroom early in the morning. He announced that a crazy octopus was in the sink. While many parents might think " oh, silly 3 year old", or maybe " how endearing!" I know better.

I told Jeff to go check it out. I thought maybe there was a silverfish in there. Or maybe, gulp, a roach. Little did I know....

There was not a silverfish in the sink. There were no roaches in the sink. What was in the sink was far worse. I am so glad I sent Jeff in there. A potato bug was making its way out of the drain. Some people may not know what a potato bug is and perhaps may even entertain the erroneous thought that it couldn't be worse than a cockroach. But oh how wrong they would be. A potato bug screams if you try to off it. A potato bug is the size of a giant mutant cricket with the head of a fetus. Believe me, you do not want a potato bug creeping out of your drain.

I did not even see this particular potato bug, but for weeks afterwords I made sure I had a cat with me in the bathroom. I was not going in there alone and unarmed.

Fast forward to this morning.

Griffin comes into our room at about 5:30 am.
" Mommy?"

" Yes?"

" There is dirt on my bed".

" Um, what kind of dirt?"

" Squishy dirt".

Clearly this is a job for Daddy.

No comments: