Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm Sick

There are many things I never thought I'd do.

Throwing up with an audience is definitely one of them.

I've had a horrible deep cough forever. I keep hoping it will go away since the logistics of getting to a doctor without kids is in tow is quite complicated. So I've ignored it. At this point I have no idea how long I've been sick. My cough is painful and persistent and emanates from deep within my chest.

The kids aren't the only reason I have not wanted to go to the doctor. I don't particularly like my doctor. She doles out advise not only about my health but about the way I live my my life. I need to just hire a nanny. Apparently she thinks the only reason I don't have a nanny is because it didn't occur to me. I should invest in home gym equipment so my new workout routines can be fit in around any schedule. I tried to explain that we have a very small house and there is no space for home gym equipment, even if we could afford it. She helpfully explained where there is a will there is a way. I suppose I could put it on the front lawn.

Unfortunately I have had to admit to myself that I am sick. I have made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I have the good fortune to find that my doctor is on vacation and I will see another doctor in the practice.

In the interim, I am still sick.

I started coughing during dinner tonight. I could not stop coughing. I went into the bathroom, asking Holden to take care of all second helpings etc with his siblings. I coughed so much I started throwing up. A lot. Oliver came in to observe. He sat about an inch from the toilet, watching me vomit with interest.

" Mommy is sick." I stated. I have to take every opportunity to narrate things for him.

" Sick." Oliver said.

Finally my stomach calmed down. I have not stopped coughing.

" Mommy?" Holden asked.

I made an attempt at saying yes? but it came out as more of a wheeze.

" I don't think your cough drops are working."

No comments: