Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Silence

At the moment I am loving the silence. Four children are in three schools and all I hear is silence. There is so much I should and could be doing but I have to stop and listen to the silence.

The incessant sound of fighting and squabbling and squealing and screeching and giggling and crashing and stomping and skipping is white noise to me. I've grown accustomed to it. Half the time I don't even hear it until it passes through that final threshold of tolerance. Then I break.
" STOP IT!!!!"

But most of the time I don't really hear it. Its self preservation. Its also much easier to tune in and out. I like to think of it as listening to the radio or watching a movie. I have to remove myself a little to stay sane amidst the incessant chaos.

The other night the moon was huge and bright and brilliant. Rather than appreciate the moon as such the children fought over the moon.

" Thats my moon". Laurel stated with pride.

"NO!" cried Griffin, instantly perturbed by the idea that Laurel had claimed the moon. " Thats my moon!"

It was all downhill from there.

So even though there are 10,000 things I need to be doing and could be doing, I'm opting to sit here for a minute and appreciate the silence. In a few hours my head will be ringing again.

No comments: